Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a TS8020 printer. I printed a photo and the colors…

Customer Question
I have a TS8020...

I have a TS8020 printer. I printed a photo and the colors are wrong. I ran the print test and the BK (black) is not printing at all. I have several times cleaned the print heads, deep cleaned the print heads and changed all of the cartridges. The BK is still blank. What more can I do?

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

TS8020 and I purchased it 3 or 4 months ago

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Macbook pro and most up to date software

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I was printing photos just fine. I took a trip in August for a month. When I returned the problem started

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That is it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
9/21/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first, as they get the most use. However in this case the inactivity is the root of the problem - inkjet printers cannot sit idle, if you go more than about a week without use they quickly start to dry out and clog up, then when you do go to print again the nozzles can over heat and be permanently damaged.

A fews cleans are not enough to resolve this. You can try going again into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 10 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part. Of course you could try filing a warranty claim with canon, and they may replace it for you. Beyond the warranty or if they won't cover it, then it would not be worth fixing.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Given that I purchased this printer late last spring I will attempt some cleaning first
Okay no luck. Now the black AND cyan are not printing. What next??

How many times did you do the cleaning?

5

Please do so at least 10 times total before we move on

Ok

thanks

I have done this so many times I have run out of ink and need to reorder! More later

Okay, when you have the ink, complete a few more cleaning runs, then we can move on to the manual clean.

To try manually cleaning the print heads:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing. This is the printhead.

You'll remove the ink cartridges from the printer, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the printer where they mate up using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well.

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs. If possible, you'll get better results by using a syringe and appropriately sized rubber tubing (that will fit into the ink inlet port) to force the alcohol to flush through the head)

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced. If it comes to that then filing a warranty claim with canon is the next best step.

Good luck!

Thanks Nathan. I will give it a try

You're very welcome, and good luck!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer