Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Just set it up....tried to fax to a canon test confirmation

number I got off internet...
Just set it up....tried to fax to a canon test confirmation number I got off internet (1-***-***-****) & get back "ng" error code 59==how do I resolve?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Just setting it up...1st time use and was trying to confirm it was set up correctly. All seems O (I only use it for fax and as copier), error tx report prints, but I get error code 59 when trying to fax to the #I found for canon to confirm a "test" fax. Could that phone # be no longer used and causing my error?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I'm not hooking up to the my computer---didn't with my last canon fax either. Just using as fax machine (with dedicated phone line) and as a copier.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: First time issue and first time use
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No....just truing to resolve error code 59
9/21/2017
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That number is ***** on some Canon pages. Perhaps it is now discontinued and defunct.

To test it, try using HP Fax Test - if you feel no ethical problem with using an HP facility to test a Canon fax (there should be no problem with faxing compatibility... it's just an abstruse ethical question, if that much):

try sending a one page, black and white, text fax to

1-888-hpfaxme (1-***-***-****).

Within 5 minutes, if all is well, a return fax should be sent to you from HP, thus confirming both sending and receiving capability.

Let me know what result you get, and if the result is not good, tell me what phone line service co. you have, and whether your phone line goes into a local network 'box' or modem, or just into the wall outlet ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I faxed one page to 1-***-***-**** and got error rx report...stating pages sent 0 ; result NG (note: shows destination number, but not destination id)

OK - something is wrong with either fax, or phone line connection, or the phone line.

Tell me what phone line service co. you have, and whether your phone line goes into a local network 'box' or modem, or just into the wall outlet ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only use as a fax and copier (MX 490 is similar to canon fax I replaced). Connection is a dedicated phone fax #/phone line, which is hooked directly to jack. I set up with a new phone today & already had phone line checked by AT&T--it was OK

OK. Good. Check whether the phone line cord, from the wall jack, is plugged in to the 'LINE' jack. It has to be. The phone, or extension phone, goes into the PHONE jack on the Canon machine, and the line from the phone's wall jack, goes into the LINE jack. Try that! it will probably work that way, if it wasn't working the other way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's the way it was, but I unhooked and plugged it in again. Checked and there is a dial tone on the phone. Should I try the test fax again?

Yes, try dialing HP - or the Canon number too, though the HP one is surer to work, since I have verified it as working, with a customer, quite recently. Let's see how that goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just tried refaxing test fax to 1-***-***-**** and got same result as last time: Destination number entered; no destination id, pages sent:0 and result: NG

OK. Do you have a cell phone? if so, dial the fax's number, listen, and tell me whether it picks up and issues beep - beep tones to your hearing? if so hang up, simply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Called with my cell & got the beeps indicating I was calling a fax line

Good. Then you may need to tell me, exactly what Canon machine model are you dealing with? it may be you are misdialing somehow, or pressing the wrong controls... so I want to look up specific instructions for the particular model in question, please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Canon PIXMA MX490

OK...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
FYI: These are the steps I've taken to fax: (1)turn machine on:(2)press the fax button:93)enter the phone on the numeric pad as*********** and then press the button for "black". Page auto feeds and it does then print the error tx report for incomplete transmission as I've previously described

OK... that sounds quite right. Just one thing: try not dialing a '1' before the number.

Try dialing(###) ###-#### That might work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Think that might be it...machine now says it's "auto redial"---I haven't gotten that before

Well... is HP faxing back? the HP fax test service might require a redial now and then, owing to demand and its being busy at the very time you try to send to it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just got incomplete transmission sheet stating "line busy", so at least it appears to be going thru---which it wasn't before. Thanks for your patience and help

Have I answered your question? if so, would you like to close the case by rating my work and my answer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
though the fax confirmation line is busy, I think you've been able to resolve my issue.

So do I - I hope so anyway. Try the Canon number instead, if you wish, to test sending from your fax. And there are a few other ways to test faxing... But, in any case, before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech