Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Trying to get our HP 4650N printer out of initializing mode,

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi trying...

Second opinion] Hi trying to get our HP 4650N printer out of initializing mode, any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your hp?

Hp color LaserJet 4650N & Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your hp? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Not sure quite a dew years ago and our IT guy is out of the office today. It's a network printer and just started this initializing mode yesterday afternoon while printing. Tied to turn off then off the press menu then back button when 3 led lights come on then green check button but no luck

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/21/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What shows on the printer's screen, please?

And what state or staus (color of light, flashing or On steadily) are the indicator lights?

Does the printer make any noise when turned On, or is it 'dead sounding' inside when turned On?

Hi Russell. Thanks.The 3 led lights are flashing when the printer is turned on and yes it does make noise when it's turned on and stuck in the "initializing" mode.
Any ideas?

Anything on the printer's screen?

Try disconnecting it from anything, even from the USB or network cable, if it has one.

Try a different outlet to plug it into.

And, was it plugged into a surge protector, or not?

Just the word "initializing" ok and it's plugged into a power strip

Try plugging it directly into a wall outlet, then, see whether that makes a difference.

Also open the printer, remove all cartridges and set them aside on a piece of paper or paper towel, on their sides.

Then unplug it. Leave it for about 4 to 10 minutes at most. Plug it in again, still open and without cartridges, see if it demands cartridges or gives an error instead of just 'initializing'.

Let me know how that goes, please.

ok

Sometimes that works to change the error at least. If the printer gets past 'initializing', pay attention to what it asks for or complains about - if the error puzzles you let me know what it says - e.g. inserting missing cartridge(s) - and see if it comes up (adding in cartridges only one at time, to see whether one cartridge produces the error when added in) or not.

ok doing that now
Same thing it just says "Initializing...

Then unfortunately I would have to say at this point, your printer has had a good-enough lifetime but it is time to decide between returning it to HP for a bit of cash or for credit toward another HP purchase (as you may decide), or having it repaired (which at its age, is possibly not really worthwhile.)

If you were to take up one of HP's excellent and uniquely valuable offers for disposing of your printer - e.g. cash-back for returning it, or credit toward buying another HP printer - you may pursue those options by way of this page:

https://h41201.www4.hp.com/WMCF.Web/us/en/page/GlobalLandingPage

Do you need any further advice or help with this matter? if you need no further help, would you be willing to rate my work and my answers?

no thanks goodby

Let me know if the other approach doesn't work out. I can offer further help.