Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

When I try to scan I get the following message "Cannot

When I try to...

When I try to scan I get the following message "Cannot communicate with scanner. Make sure scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated". I did all that but it still doesn't work. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a Workforce Pro WF-4630 It is about one year old.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I am using a Dell laptop with Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This has been an issue for about six months. There is nothing special that happened before this popped up.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

9/21/2017
Richard, Technician

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please how the printer is connecting to the computer? Via the wireless network or a USB cable?

Please let me know

The printer is connected by a USB cable.
Why am I not getting an answer?

Thank you

Can you connect the printer to a different USB port on the computer.

Once done, try to scan and tell me if it then works please

I connected to a different USB port but it still doesn't work.

Click start, type in mspaint and press enter

Then in MSPaint, click on File, choose the scanner option and tell me if you can scan there please.

I got the following message "Unable to retrieve picture from device. Verify the device is properly connected and try again."

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Still get same message.

Thanks

Can you click start, type in control and click on control panel.

Then type inn devices and click on devices and printers.

Once done, right click the printer and select remove.

Once removed, restart the computer, go back to devices and printers, click on Add Printer

Install it when it shows then try to scan

Let me know the results please

How did it go as I did not hear back from you

It is working now. What do I do if it happens again? Do I have to go through the same procedure?

It should not re-occur but if it does, then yes repeat what we did.

Glad it is now working, If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Richard, Technician