Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My officejet 8600 pro usually works great. All of a sudden,

Customer Question
My officejet 8600 pro...

My officejet 8600 pro usually works great. All of a sudden, on the printer I get the message - "there is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off, then on. If problem persists, contact HP." On by PC I got the message "The print head appears to be missing, not detected, incorrectly installed or incompatible". I have turned the printer off many times and also reseeded the 4 ink cartridges. Any ideas please? Dan

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

5 years?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC (HP in fact)

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just started tonight - nothing happened - I use it all the time

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,