Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have an Epson 3620 workforce. It has been printing fine

I have an Epson 3620 workforce. It has been printing fine and then yesterday when printing color it started to print with lots of stripes and the color was not representative of picture - I checked the cartridges and only the black one needed to be changed. I then ran it again and nothing changed, I then tried to photocopy in black and white and it is really feint despite the new cartridge. I then re-inserted all the cartidges and did the head clean function several times and nothing has changed. when it tries to print it also takes for ever clicking as if it is checking the cartridges. what else can I do?
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: it is Epson wf3620 which I purchased about 13months ago
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC and we are running windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it started yesterday - it had been printing fine, both in color and black and white and then the color prints started being very stripy. there was no change in what we were doing or event that changed, it just seemed to get worse and worse.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Are you using genuine/oem epson inks, or generic/refilled cartridges?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Epson inks

Thank you for confirming,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

A few cleans is not enough for a bad clog. You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 10 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. This is actually a 2013 model printer and these printers are built for a maximum service life of 3 years, but depending on usage it can be anywhere from 1-3. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. If you have had it for only 13 months, you may be able to get them to cover it under warranty for you.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** run the clean head process a few more times. If not I will buy a new one! seems like the cheapest option!

You're very welcome, and good luck!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,