Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Black toner still reads empty after replacing with brand new…

Customer Question
Black toner still reads...

Black toner still reads empty after replacing with brand new toner.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Ricoh SP C820dn

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC computer and Operating system is Windows 7

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just today with toner issue. However, co-worker was printing weekly report double sided and noticed that pages were coming out upside down on dup side.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
9/20/2017
Technician: ComputerChic, Consultant replied 8 months ago
ComputerChic
ComputerChic, Consultant

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I'm going to be helping you today. I understand there is a couple of problems;

1. The toner cartridge isn't recognized when you replaced it.
  2. When printing 2 sides the paperwork comes out upside down on one side.

The printing upside down issue is probably a settings issue. Be sure to double check the print settings

are correct for 2 sided printing. [Sometimes one little accidental check-mark in an unwanted box or even update can change your printer settings].

As for the cartridge there are a few different options to try because there are multiple causes for a printer not recognizing the toner. I'll go over them and we will troubleshoot one by one here.

First:

• I would like you to check your drivers from the Device Manager.
  • Search device manager then scroll down to find Other Devices; [or possible Universal Serial Bus Controllers]
  • Update your driver by Right clicking the driver & choosing Update Driver.

Second:

• Try cleaning the printer heads with some alcohol and Q tips by
  • Open printer and remove the cartridge.
  • The printer head is what the cartridge sits in and can become clogged over time sometimes.
  • Be sure to clean the head until no more ink is coming off the head.
  • Allow to dry and replace the cartridge.

Third:

• Unplug your data cable from the PC and shut down both the printer and the PC.
  • Then plug the data cable connection back in and restart your PC & printer. [sometimes this will fix any miscommunication between the hardware devices].
  • If these don't work then you will have to uninstall your printer and drivers.
  • Then re-install the printer and drivers to clear up any firmware problems.

Let me know if your need any further assistance and thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Amy

Technician: ComputerChic, Consultant replied 7 months ago

Hi there, did this help.

ComputerChic
ComputerChic
ComputerChic, Consultant