Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My HP4280 only prints a few lines of documents i am trying…

My HP4280 only prints...

My HP4280 only prints a few lines of documents i am trying to print. Inke levels are great

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

HP C4280 - it's about 10 years old BUT it has very low mileage. Rarely used

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

MAC

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It printed just fine forever. I was away for a couple of months and when I returned home I just noticed it's become an issue

9/20/2017
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please remove all of the ink cartridges

Take a lint free cloth and use a little distilled water to clean the bottom of the copper contacts

Allow them 5 minutes to dry then insert back in and try to print again

ok let's go
That's not the problem at all. The partially printed documents are clear legible. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE PRINTER IS MISSING MOST OF THE TEXT IN THE PRINTED DOCUMENT.

I understand the issue. Please follow my steps...

Please remove all of the ink cartridges

I don't have distilled water in the house. Reverse Osmosis water, no distilled water.

You can use the water that you have in your house

ok i will be right back

Okay; thank you.

They are drying. It will take another minute
Before I contacted you I attempted to print off an email. the only thing in the email that printed were the email addresses. The body of the email is missing.
I think I can put the cartridges back in now

Let me know how it goes

OK, It's better but not perfect.some of the text is cut off
I would imagine it needs more cleaning

Yes, please try cleaning it a little more.

Also, you can try cleaning the print head (where the cartridges sit in the printer)

print heads being cleaned

Great; let me know how it goes.

Ok it's fine

Everything okay now?

test page printed perfectly

Awesome!

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit

Josh, Technician