Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

After I replaced a couple of cartridges, I got a message on…

After I replaced a...

After I replaced a couple of cartridges, I got a message on the printer screen to contact Canon. Now the message is U052 type of printhead is incorrect. How do I clear this?

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

MG5320 - canon cartridges

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC - Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Recent - happened after I put in three new cartridges

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Only how to correct this

9/18/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Engineer