Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Printer Epson XP 400 has stopped printing. Have run all

Customer Question
Hi Printer Epson XP...

Hi Printer Epson XP 400 has stopped printing. Have run all maintenance of nozzle check, Head cleaning, head alignment....nothing but a few faint streaks on the page when printing text...

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

XP400 approx 3 years old...

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

MAC OS Sierra v 10.12.6

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

About a day. printer was idle while on vacation. did all the print maintenance, nozzle check, head cleaning alignment. Printed about 5 pages no problem. Tried to print another document a few hours later. nothing.... :-(

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Have done what I know to do....

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/17/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

Depending how long your vacation was, that may be the underlying cause. Inkjet printers cannot sit idle, if they go more than about a week without use the nozzles quickly dry out and clog up, then when you try to print again they overheat and are permanently damaged.

A single clean is not enough to resolve this. You can try again going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.