Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Canon i9900 large format printer. It was stored for…

Customer Question
I have a Canon i9900...
I have a Canon i9900 large format printer. It was stored for an extended period when I moved. Now I get 5 flashing ***** *****ghts and 1 green light. I have removed and cleaned the print head 4 times but I still get the same error code. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
9/16/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4 days

Hi

Is this network or USB?

The canons have a printer hosted server in them that will tell us exactly what the error is (usually looks like NG and a code)

Thanks

kris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
USB
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do I access the "printer hosted server" that will identify an error code?

Does the printer have a network card?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since it has 2 USB ports and an Ethernet port, I assume that it does have a network card.

Ok good, can you connect it to your router please? Eithernet port to router?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The router is 2 floors down

Is there anyway you can get it on the network?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Isn't it on the network when plugged into my computer via USB?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The computer is connected to the network via Wifi

No sorry that wont work.

Let me see what we can do instead

How old is it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The printer is maybe 8 years old
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would it help if I connect the printer to the computer with an Ethernet cable?

No as it still needs an IP address.

Can you double check the error lights as I am not seeing anything on my error manual for servicing under that lights?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 green flash, 5 amber flashes - confirmed

Okay as you have did the cleaning it is telling me here you need to replace the print head.

Would you like me to get prices? I'm sorry but all the info I have is telling me this issue is hardware related.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have cleaned the print head at least 4 times.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess get me pricing on a new print head please - and a source where I can get one.

You cant buy them direct you would need to go to a distributer.

What's the serial number of it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually I have found multiple sources for both new and refurbished print heads for this model. The cost of a print head without knowing for sure that it would solve the issue is too much of a gamble.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Another potential source of this problem is the excess ink pads being saturated. I am going to clean them first and see if that solves the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks anyhow

Okay let me know please.

Regarding your first statement I agree and it's a gamble I am seeing $195 + service costs for it, I am assuming this is not worth it?

Note: Can you please rate me at the top so I am credited with my time, 5/5 gives me most credit and would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will know more after cleaning the ink absorbing pads. And even though it too is a gamble, the cost is my time but no $. The cost of a print head is $195+ and it's a gamble. It only makes sense to try cleaning the pads first.

Okay let me know please