Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It constantly goes offline if I don't use it for a day or…

Customer Question
It constantly goes offline...

It constantly goes offline if I don't use it for a day or so. Even when I use the Set up Wizard to get it back online & get a printout stating that the connection is fine, it often stays offline. Turning off the printer & turning it back on after setting the printer up again doesn't always work. I just used the Set up Wizard 3 times, got confirmation all 3 times, turned the printer off & on & it still is offline. My husband just died & I have important forms to print & fax. It has always been frustrating dealing with this piece of crap printer, but now in particular. I always had HP printers before & never had this problem. The person who always helps us with computer issues recommended Brother, so we switched. I have been sorry ever since. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's several years old, I'm sure. It's an MFC-J475DW.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC. Sorry; I never remember what an OS is. Tell me what my options are & I'll tell you what I have.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It's been an issue for probably a year. I don't know what your 2nd question means.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
9/15/2017
Technician: Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist replied 8 months ago
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

I would suggest you setup wireless once again on the printer using the instructions below.

1. Press Menu on the printer control panel.

2. Choose Network or LAN => WLAN => Setup Wizard.

3. If the message, Network I/F switched to Wireless appears, press OK to accept. The wired network interface will become inactive with this setting.

4. The machine will search for your network and display a list of available SSIDs wireless name. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose your network, then press OK.

5. Enter your wireless password ***** and press OK. Make sure you enter the wireless password ***** because it is case sensitive.

If successful, Connected will appear briefly on the LCD.

Then, restart the computer and try printing. if the issue persists, you may have to reinstall the printer driver.

If the issue still persists even after setting up wireless and reinstalling the printer driver, I would suggest you use a printer USB cable instead of printing wireless.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Customer/p>
I already did everything you said, except re-install the printer driver. I don't know how to do that. I also don't know how to do what you said to do if re-installing the printer driver doesn't work. Sorry I contacted your company; I thought I was contacting Brother. I'll just call my computer guy, who will come here & do whatever needs to be done. Please don't charge me for not helping me. Thank you.
I don't want you remotely accessing my computer. Just don't charge my credit card. I'll have my computer guy figure it out.

I can help you by remotely accessing your PC, if you wish. I can help reinstalling the driver. However, if the issue persists even after reinstalling the printer, the issue might be with the wireless radio of your printer and it is better to use a printer USB cable to connect the printer and the computer.

Thank you.

Customer/p>
As I said, I don't understand this high tech stuff. I shouldn't have contacted you. It's better for me to have my computer guy come here & do whatever needs to be done. I'm dealing with the death of my husband 5 days ago & don't need any extra stress right now. Thanks for trying.
Please confirm that I'm not going to have to pay money for this. Thank you.

If you have charged, please contact our customer support to get a refund. You can contact them from the link below.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thank you.

Customer/p>