Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

We have a Canon MP 490 connected to a Mac desktop. It seems…

Customer Question
We have a Canon...

We have a Canon MP 490 connected to a Mac desktop. It seems to be stuck in Copy mode. Attempts to print bring up "Printer not Connected" message.. We have checked all wire and cable connections and rebooted both Mac and Canon with no change. What next ?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

Canon MP 490.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac OS X El Capitan

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Last night. My wife attempted to print a Word doc. and got the message

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so. thank you.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/14/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Try turning off the printer by unplugging it suddenly from the power.

Leave it that way for at least 10 or 20 minutes, or longer.

Then at the end of that time, plug it in again. See whether that gets it to a responsive condition again.

If not, tell me how old the printer is, please, and whether it is on a wireless connection, or on a USB cable connected to the Apple computer.

my wife did that last night, off for about an hour, no change in printer actions. Probably 7 years old with USB connection.

What shows on the printer's screen at present? the usual, or anything unusual?

And, has the printer been plugged into a surge protector, or directly into a wall outlet?

I am calling from my office, about 8 miles from the home and printer location.
Should we try to connect tomorrow from that location /if so, how to do so ?

Just go to this page, devoted to your question and this case, and you can resume this conversation there/then:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/aoff9-canon-mp-490-connected-mac-desktop-seems.html

Thank you Russell. Have a good evening.

OK. Good evening!