John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Someone gained remote access to my computer last week.

Customer Question

JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Purchased 8/17/17 Hewlett Packard Pavillion 570P020
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Don't have a printer, using windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Happened last Tuesday 9/5, he gained access by a Windows Support window that popped up on an e mail. Had me call a TL # and he was able to gain access that way.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been told I need to change my IP address to block him out is that right?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Your Internet Service Provider changes your IP

address on a regular schedule, usually every 3 to 7 days. A hacker cannot get in to your computer based on an IP address alone.

They would need running remote connection software installed on your computer to get connected. Did that happen?