Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a 3800 connected to a Mac (El Captian). From time to…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 3800 connected to a Mac (El Captian). From time to time when the printer seems to be happily printing, it stops and give me the "Communication error" message. This has persisted for some time and is very expensive as it wastes Canson Rag and Baryta. Often I set it up and it prints all the way without a problem. It's "crashed" twice in the past 10 minutes. Two pieces of Rag now of no use. Can you help me, please? Adrian

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

EPSON 3800 probably about 5 or more years. It doesn't get a lot of us but when it does, it generally works ok apart from the communication crashes.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac El Capitan

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It has been happening for about a year. If you mean before the communication error, it was printing along quite happily, then it stops and gives me a message. I'm not operating on the computer while it prints.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I have an extension USB cable connected as my work space doesn't make it easy to have the 3800 immediately beside two whopping screens.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/14/2017
Technician: Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist replied 11 months ago
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

First, connect the printer directly to the computer using a long USB cable, if the cable is short. Using a USB hub may cause communication issues.

Then, try the instructions below.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the Printers & Scanners. window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.
    Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Hullo Shefin. I have tried this solution several times prior to seeking support from you. Hence, this hasn't been of assistance. It seems to be a generic solution to some software issue that is not of assistance in my case. It has no effect. As I indicated earlier, the printer works fine on some occasions but with cease printing for no obvious reason. The consequence is the waste of expensive paper. I am now in dialogue with Epson. I thank you for your initial advice but as it has not led to a solution, I would be grateful if you would arrange to have my "deposit" returned and my credit card credited with the $5. Thanks.

Please be informed that, there is two reasons for communication errors. Main reason the connection between computer and the printer. Since you are using a USB cable to connect the printer, you can just try changing the USB cable. However, we have to make sure that the printer driver is properly added (second reason) added to the computer. That is why I have suggested to reset the printing system and adding the printer again. I would suggest you try changing the printer USB cable too.

Please contact our customer support to get a refund. You can contact them at 1800-679-634.

Thank you.