Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have the same error message. One page got stuck, but it

I have the same error message. One page got stuck, but it all came out without tearing the page. How do I clear it or how do I check the printer. The back does not open and I have turned it off a few times already.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Epson Workforce 520
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 8.1 64 bit
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was printing a PP slideshow from my work website
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I just need to know how to clear the error message or check the printer,

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

there does not seem to be any other door on that printer

you can lift the scanner unit the same way you would to change the ink but thats about it

you can also open the ADF unit to check for a jam in there but that seems unlikely

there should be a "did you remove the jam" question on the printer lcd panel.

you probably have to say yes to that question before it will believe that the jam is gone.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The menu button only says "Printer error, see your documentation". It will not allow me to go up or down in the menu. I tried to open the back. I shut off the electricity and uncrewed the 2 screws, but it won't open. I have shut the machine down 2 or three times, but when it turns back on, the error message reappears. I lifted the upper area where I change the ink, too. I could not see any paper with the flashlite. The paper I pulled out during the jam was wrinkled but not torn. I rolled the white wheel on the left side inside to roll out any existing paper - no paper could be found.
Anything else I can do ???

Move the print head back and forth.

Pull the cartridges out and put them back in again

something that is supposed to move when the printer does its warmup routine is not moving that is what is triggering the error

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have done that 2 times, with the machine on and with the machine off. It still says printer error.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems that the ink cartridge can move right, but seems to be stuck when it gets to the far right side...makes a funny noise like it is trying to move left when I turn the machine back on. I have the cover lifted to watch it. It does that each time. - it can't move left from the far right side.

something may have gotten broken when the paper got pulled out. Not that you had any choice on how to take it out.

try this though

with the printer still on

unplug it from the wall

press the power button for a couple of seconds with it still unplugged to dissipate any residual electricity

then plug it back in.

that will reset the whole printer

but if it comes up with another error message than some sensor is sending an error to the printer and we have to try to figure out what it is. but if it is a real error because of a real physical problem there is not much i can do from here.