Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The ink absorber on my canon ix6820 printer is full. How do…

Customer Question
The ink absorber on...

The ink absorber on my canon ix6820 printer is full. How do I get it fixed?

Technician's Assistant: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It has never done this before, the printer is about 5 yrs old. It prints alo of pictures.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I have a hp Envy, running windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It became an issue yesterday.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I do not think so. Thank You

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
9/13/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

It just started yesterday
I do not want you to connect to my computer

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

done
should I plug it back in?

Yes please.

OK, done

OK - did this reset the ID for you, e.g is it making a difference?

are you still there?

Can you try it now and tell me If it has made a difference?

It did not make any difference
are you still there??
What happened???

I'm here! Was looking into this..

I have been waiting for a response for over 10 minutes, and have not gotten anything. What is going on??

How are you connected too it?

My printer is connected to the computer.

With USB?

I do not want you to remotely connect to my computer. I do not see how that will help. The printer error says that the 'ink absorber' is almost full.

I understand its an automated offer

What is an automated offer?

It will appear by itself.

OK so we need to clean the ink pad. Are you OK to do this? It means removing it from the pc and cleaning it in water.. I will give you steps.

Are you sure that I can remove the ink absorber pad and clean it in water. What I have read says to replace the pad?

If you want to replace the pad you can, but you can also "DIY it" and clean it

OK

Ok you will clean or OK get a new one?

OK to clean it.

1. Fill a large bowl with warm, soapy water and set it aside. Put on the rubber gloves.

2. Open the ink cartridge compartment. Depending on your Canon printer model, this compartment may be in the front or the back of the machine.

3. Wait for the ink cartridges to move all the way over, then disconnect the printer's power cord.

4. Look for a black rubber frame under the ink cartridge assembly. This contains the ink absorbing pads.

5. Pull the rubber frame out of the printer and remove the ink absorbing pads. The number of pads varies by model.

6. Place the pads in the bowl. Rub and squeeze them to remove the ink. When the water becomes opaque with ink, discard the solution and refill the bowl with more warm, soapy water. Continue this procedure until all ink is removed from the pads.

7. Squeeze the excess water from the pads and place them on a stack of three or four paper towels to dry.

8. Check the pads every hour to determine if they are dry. If the paper towels become saturated, change them out.

9. Place the pads back in the rubber frame when they are completely dry. Reinstall the frame in the printer.

10. Press and hold the "Power" button and reconnect the power cord. When the printer comes on, release the button. Wait five seconds and push the "Power" button again. This resets the printer's internal memory and overrides the "Ink Absorber Full" error code.

Thank you for the information. I do not have the time presently to do this now. I will have to do later.

OK can you get back to me later?

Thanks

kris

When I get it done, I will log back on and let you know how it went. Thank you for your time. I am going to log off now.

Okay let me know thanks

I tried to follow your instructions, and was unable to remove the ink absorber pads. I had to take it to a service center for Canon printers to get it fixed.

Can you give me the serial please?

I do not have the printer with me, it is at the service center.

OK, no problem. I'm sorry I could not help!

John, Computer Science Engineer