Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I need to switch paper trays from #2 to #1 on my MFC-J4710DW…

Customer Question
I need to switch...

I need to switch paper trays from #2 to #1 on my MFC-J4710DW and have no clue how to do that

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Brother Business Smart MFC-J4710DW about 3 yrs old

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Only about 343 hours ago! I was receiving a fax and the printer's message was: paper tray empty load paper then press"OK". The paper tray was never set to change to paper tray 2 - it has always been on #1! This is my boss' printer and I don't "mess" with his stuff

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of - thanks!

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/13/2017
Technician: Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager replied 11 months ago
Tech Ben
Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 15+ years of experience as an Information Systems Manager; responsible for overseeing computer and network systems, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, etc.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today. The paper trays are automatically selected by Brother iPrint and Scan. Or may be the setup is to select Auto Tray and that's the reason it got swapped. However, one can manually change the same from Printer's console. Please follow below instructions and let me know if it worked.

1. Press Settings.
  2. Press All Settings.
  3. Press Up or Down arrow key to display General Setup.
  4. Press General Setup.
  5. Press Up or Down arrow key to display Tray Setting.
  6. Press Tray Setting.
  7. Press Tray Use: Fax.
  8. Press Tray #1, Tray #2 or Auto Tray Select.

Please do not forget to share your feedback.

Thanks,

Kumar