Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My HP 4630 won't print black. New cartridge and did print

Customer Question

My HP 4630 won't print black. New cartridge and did print head clean many times. Nothing.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: OK, let me check... snprh-1201, officejet 4630, can not find a date.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, win 10 - Prints color OK
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Been a few weeks. Nothing happened that I can recall Same issue when trying to copy, no PC involved.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, that's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

A single or even a few cleans is not sufficient. You can try, again, going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 10 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,