Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My Epson XP-400 3-in-1 printer/scanner will scan when

Customer Question
My Epson XP-400 3-in-1...

My Epson XP-400 3-in-1 printer/scanner will scan when prompted from the Epson device, but a single 8 x 11 page scans multiple times and shows up on my PC in multiple chunks, like a puzzle.

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

EPSON XP-400. Replaced the original XP-400 about 2-3 yrs ago, but I see it's still a current product on Amazon.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Less than a year-old Dell running on Windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I believe the issue pre-dates the retirement of my old hp and the connection to the Dell earlier this year.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
9/13/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 9 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

About a year. The distorted scans from the Epson XP=400 showed up on my recently retired HP desktop PC and they show up the same way on the new Dell that replaced it. Appears to be an EPSON issue.

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

Done.

Thanks - can you connect it back up please

I completed that 20 min ago. The Epson was powered down and back up as directed.

OK can you tell me If it helps at all, even sightly?

If not we can go onto a reset of the settings.

Now nothing but a Communications Error appears on the Epson screen. It signals Scanning on the Epson screen as it always has, but then signals the Error message after several seconds.

Okay can you unplug everything from it bar the power cable and tell me if it gets rid of the error, or even enough just to get into the reset mode?