Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My printer has been down since last week, Artisan 837 about

Hi there!
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: my printer has been down since last week
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Artisan 837 about 2-3 years old. as I was printing a document, a piece of paper became stuck and i worked it out....
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: an error message came up. no matter what I do turning it off an d on it atill comes up windows Acer laptop
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: everything was fine before
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have checked everything as best as I know how
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you ready for more information?

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Is the printer giving you any particular error code/message?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A printer error has occurred. Turn power off and then on again. For details see your documentation or Epson.com
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i would like to try to fix it without the remote access

Please look on the printer itself, on its display screen, to see what error code is showing there, such as 0x10 for example.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I need specific information from the printer to be able to address the underlying problem, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is what the screen says
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is it that you need?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is what the screen says and nothing else

Please look at the very top of the printer screen. If you don't see it, press the i/info button on the printer to see if it shows more detail, there is usually a specific error on screen, or a pattern to the flashing lights, etc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nothing else is showing. the lights are flashing on a regular pattern
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the screen you are asking for willl not come up. i cannot get past the initial error screen

Which lights specifically? Are they all flashing simultaneously, alternating, etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the on and off light
the wifi light
the blue bar at the right side bottom of the screen
and a small gree light in the right corner
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
does this help?

Yes that is what I needed, thank you,

This is a “diffuse” error which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. do I just keep this IM open to report back you?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it will take me a little bit of time to do this

Yes just reply back here when ready, take your time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OKAY!!!

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the paper try will not come out
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am afraid to pull hard
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what to do now?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i need to know how to unlock the paper tray

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

The paper tray will come out, pull straight forward and it will release.

If you can't get it out completely, that is ok, you can still just take the paper out and move the guides with the tray in place.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it will not come out!

That may be part of the problem of what is damaged then,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
have no idea how it could be damaged. the tray remains flush with the front of the printer

Try opening the back cover and see if you can push it out from there.

Again it should remove though, try pulling straight forward, grasping on both the left and right, from the underside of the "drawer" and pull straight out (you can lift up just slightly at the same time)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay hold on....

thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what it looks like is that ALL the paper is wrapped around in the back. the tray is stuck still

That would explain why the tray won't move then, so you'll have to try to remove the paper as best you can from the back and top compartments to unspool it and pull it out.

Given the extent of what you've described though, there is most likely some significant underlying hardware damage here to the drive path system and ultimately it will probably not be repairable. It certainly doesn't hurt to try, but for a 2011 model printer, it is at double its designed (maximum 3 year) service life at this point, and ultimately would not be worth fixing beyond unjamming the paper as it would cost you $200+ to repair while you could replace it with a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for less than half that. I can recommend some replacement options for you if you'd prefer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. i will try to remove the paper but what are my options around the same price and functions

Thanks, ***** ***** of luck to you!

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am disappointed that we could not fix the printer. I forsee that along with the $28 for your messages, I will have to pay out more to get it fixed if it is fixable. your suggestion of another printer might be the best
thank you anyway.
if i get a new printer will you be available to make sure I set it up correctly?

I'm sorry I cannot offer a definitive fix for you, in cases such as this I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving you practical advise for how to proceed, which ultimately saves you a lot more money in the long run.

It is not fixable at any reasonable cost, as I mentioned earlier. To take it to a repair shop would cost you a minimum $125 diagnostic fee just to look at it and tell you the same things I already have. To actually repair it will be over 200, while you can buy a new one for about $80.

I can help you to set up the new one if you need help, though the site would require that you post that as a new/separate question.

They are very easy to install though, it will guide you through everything on the printer screen and I don't expect you'll have any trouble with it at all.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok...thanks!

You're very welcome!

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,