John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I'm getting an 8200 error message on my Canon MX860 printer.

Customer Question

I'm getting an 8200 error message on my Canon MX860 printer. I had just used the printer to san a document, walked out of the room, and when I went back to scan another document, the power was off, I unplugged the power cord from the printer, re-plugged, unplugged, re-plugged. I changed the wall socket. Finally after plugging in the power cord to the printer the third time, the printer came on, but am getting the 8200 error message.
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The printer is a Canon MX860, approximately eight years old. On the bottom plate is CMII ID 2008DJ4282.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I am printing from a MAC....Operating System X EL Capitan.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I've never had this happen before. I leave the printer on all the time...had printed about 20 pages of menus from various food sites, scanned one document to a thumb drive and sent it as an attachment to an email. I printed another document from an email and went into my office to scan the document and found the printer power off.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of a thing. Each time, I unplugged the power cord from the printer, I waited at least 30 seconds before reinserting the power cord. Finally on the third time, it powered up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kris, this has never happened before.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have paid you $28 dollars for an answer on what is wrong with my printer which I have not received, and now you are requesting another $39 to connect to my computer and supposedly repair it. I don't want to spend another $39.00 and would like to not have $28.00 charged to my credit card since you haven't given me any satisfaction.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you will assure me that I will only be charged a total of $39.00 for the repair, I will agree to you remotely connecting to my printer. I will contest any other charges with my credit card company.
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

The remote assistance is additional to the money you have already paid - do you want the remote or do we continue here?

Thanks

Kris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The remote assistance is additional to the money I have already paid ???? What have I gotten for the money I have paid? It appears nothing. No, we will not continue for an additional $39.00, and I am going to contest with my credit card company what you will be charging me for NO SERVICE.
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

As I said, we can still continue to troubleshoot here, it was not me that insisted on the remote assistance - this is a system offer that everyone sees.

There is no need to contest anything, I either refund this in full and cancel help or help you here for the money you have paid and resolve your issue.

Thanks

Kris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Kris, refund in full and cancel HELP. I will go another route. Sorry this turned out this way. Don *****

Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Okay I'll do that

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks.