Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer goes through all the motions of printing, but…

Customer Question
My printer goes through...

My printer goes through all the motions of printing, but blank pages come out. everything seems to check out the way it is supposed to, so I can't imagine what the problem could be.

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is an epson xp-424 and I really haven't used it all that much. I installed a new black ink cartridge last night, and I checked everything I could, but it still prints blank pages. However, I will say that I just tried to print a test page and you could see the words "Windows Printer Test Page" and an image of a printer showing in blue ink, but the rest of the page is blank.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I am using Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Well, it has been quite a while since I have used this printer - I ran out of black ink, so it was just recently I bought more ink. After I installed the black ink cartridge, and I checked the status of the ink, the printer indicated my black was full, and the three colors indicated the ink level was approximately 50%.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/13/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

As you had noted it had not been used for quite some time, that is actually the underlying cause of this. These and all inkjet printers cannot be left idle, if they go more than a week without use they quickly dry out and clog up, then when you try to print again they can overheat and be permanently damaged.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into if not past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.