Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Brother MFC-L2740DW. When I try to scan to file on…

Customer Question
I have a Brother...

I have a Brother MFC-L2740DW. When I try to scan to file on PC I get an error message "Check Connection" I have checked connections and they are all right. Can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Brother Model MFC-L2740DW. Approx. 12-18 months old.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

HP PC - Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Printer has been operating correctly. I have scanned to PC in the past, but it has been some time since I've tried

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
9/12/2017
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 9 months ago
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

OK. Same result. When I select Scan to file, I get an error message "Check Connection"

how are you connecting to the printer? Via wifi or a USB cable?

I have already been charged $33.00
Can you help me for what I have already paid?
Printer connected via wifi

You are referring to a service the website offers, which being optional, can be ignored if you do not wish to use it.

Please ignore it and reply here to my last question I sent you please

remove power to your wifi router, wait 5 minutes, connect power, restar the computer and then try to scan

Please let me know the results

OK, did as directed. wifi back on and functioning. Still get same error msg on the printer

Thanks

Click start, type in control and click on control panel

Then type in the top right devices and click on devices and printers

Right click the printer and select remove.

Then restart the computer, click on add printer, click on it so it installed and then try to scan

Let me know the results please

Did as you instructed. Same result - "Check connection"

Can you print to it now?

I successfully printed from my PC

Thanks

Can you do a copy on the actual printer itself?

successfully made a copy

Click start, type in mspaint and press enter

Click on File, then Scan and do a scan there, does it then work?

There is no Scan option. Only "From scanner or camera" option and it is grayed out -not active
This is from "Paint" desktop app. No MSPaint option on my start menu

Ok, this is the issue, it is the scanner communications module that has failed, this is on the mainboard of the printer.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you