Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a HP officejet pro 8600 premium and the ADF will not…

Customer Question
Okay, I have a...

Okay, I have a HP officejet pro 8600 premium and the ADF will not pick up paper and feed it ? I have turned the printer off unplugged the power cord and unplugged the power cord from the wall outlet. I have also cleaned all of the rollers in the ADF. Now I am trying to reset the factory setting, how do I do that ?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is 2 years old - fpu # cn577-64001

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Window 7 ultimate

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It has happened before, and while it was still in warranty a HP tech walked me thru some step and it was fixed, but now it has happened again several times

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No not now

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

APPROXIMATELY A YEAR - AS NOTED A HP TECHNICIAN FIXED IT ONCE ON THE PHONE BUT IT HAS HAPPENED AGAIN A FEW TIMES SINCE THEN - SEE MY ORIGINAL QUESTION FOR MORE DETAILS -
NO - CONNECTING TO THE COMPUTER WON'T CONNECT TO THE PRINTER PROBLEM
THIS " JUST ANSWER " JUST DOES NOT SEEM TO BE COMMUNICATING VERY WELL - SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE SERVICE

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

OTHER INSTRUCTIONS SAY NOT TO KILL THE POWER SUPPLY WHILE THE PRINTER IS ON
CAN YOU FIND MY ORIGAN QUESTION SENT IN EARLIER ? ? ?

Please do this.

They have all been locked

OKAY NONE OF THIS SEEMS TO BE WORKING FOR ME ? ? ? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY HAVE ALL BEEN LOCKED ?
CAN YOU SEE MY ORIGINAL QUESTION SENT IN EARLIER TODAY ? ? ? ? ?

Yes - let me go through them for you.

is it time to abort this procedure

Is it connected wireless or wired?

wired

Okay to reset the paper feed you must do my reset, were you able to do this?

Thanks

Kris

no - tell me how - most instructions so far have not worked

can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.

do I hold on button down while I unplug the power cord or after unplugging the cord ?

After you unplug it please

okay here goes
okay now what

Okay, connect it back up and tell me If this helps

no it did not help - still does not pick up paper with 6 pages in the stack

Okay are we OK to do a full factory reset?

Thanks

Kris

okay I quess - will I lose all of my fax settings and number info ? ? ?

Yes this a choice you would need to make..

Okay so I will loose my fax number, date, time and etc.

Yes you will need to re-add it

Okay, if you really think this will solve the problem ? then lets do it

It's the only thing left to try.

To do a reset we need to get into the secret menu let me know when you see it

How to get to the secret menu

• Turn OFF your printer.
  • Wait for 10 Seconds before turning it ON again.
  • Just as the printer turns ON, press the back button (arrow icon) on the front panel of the printer “4 times”.
  • If you did it correctly, the support menu should appear.
I repeat the HP technician did something similar one time along with me cleaning all of the rollers and etc. and it worked for awhile the then the problem came back ?
Also , when I do your instructions the back arrow button does not appear at all, I have tried this earlier today .

OK If it's coming back it's a hardware issue and you need to get a new printer, If it fixes it that's fine but If it keeps happening you need to look at replacing the printer has it's clear the hardware is failing.

okay even though it did not appear - I mashed that area on the panel 4 times and support menu now appears
now what ?

Ok do you see reset?

I never saw full reset - I only say reset language and country
now it is printing out a test page ?

Can you list what you see on this menu?

now it say support
CLP1CN1322CR
this printer is like BRAND NEW HARDLY USED AT ALL

Can you tell me what options it gives you in the secret menu please?

You may need to scroll down and have a look through them

OKAY I FINALLY SCROLLED AROUND AND FOUND SEMI/FULL RESET AND MASHED THE OKAY BUTTON AND THE PRINTER TURNED OFF
NOW WHAT ?

If you did the full reset let it turn back on and the issue should be resolved, If not it's hardware

WHAT A DAY - NOW IT IS SAYING THAT THE YELLOW CARTRIDGE IS DEPLEATED AND NEEDS REPLACING AND I DO NOT HAVE ONE RIGHT NOW - I WILL GET ONE AND GET BACK TO YOU SOON.

OK great

okay - after all of that - it still will not pick up pager - the chime sounds and then when it is time to pick up the paper it make kind of a short grinding noise and send message to try again .

Okay so in this case it's a hardware issue, I'm sorry but at least we tried everything.