John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My printer will make the paper go through, but nothing is

Customer Question

My printer will make the paper go through, but nothing is printed. I uninstalled the printer and was wondering if there was a new driver download for serial number ADJF10105
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Pixma MG5500 Series probably from 2013
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, not sure what they call the new Windows system?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Pretty much since I got the new computer. I have had tons of issues, but just have dealt with them. Sometimes it prints sometimes it doesn't. I have another computer and sometimes it tells me that it can't print because of the other computer, but the other computer is off. ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Why it will not print.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I was told to uninstall and get on the canon website to install the latest driver, to see if that helps. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

If you try to make a copy from the glass (photocopy, test both black only and color modes), how do those come out? Also blank?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It comes out printed, but the color one is not good print quality.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

What about the black only one?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's fine. I thought I was talking to someone from Canon who was going to help me with the new driver download. I'm not sure how I got on your website that charged me 33 dollars for this help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

This is a paid support service, it is not free help.

Canon would not provide any help for a printer this age. Do you wish to continue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
R u kidding me? You knew that there was no help for this printer, but you proceeded to charge me and u want me to continue receiving no help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I got the impression you were asking to stop, which is why I asked.

You paid the agreed upon fees to the site when posting your question. We're all independent techs here, I have no control over any of the pricing, ads, or other site functions. There is no help from Canon, the manufacturer, for this issue. I was not at all saying I would not help you, simply asking if you wished to continue, now that you were aware of the services you had signed up for here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

What you are experiencing is not just a driver issue, it is a printer hardware issue.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,