Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have installed non HP cartridges and it gave the

Customer Question
I have installed non...

I have installed non HP cartridges and it gave the fluctuating cartridge lights. I have reinstalled the printer and down loaded the patchb to avoid the security device but still the cartridge lights cycle.

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Officejet pro 6230 about 6 months old, this is the first cartridge change since new

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Issue yesterday after my wife put in thev new cartridges

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
9/11/2017
Technician: Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager replied 9 months ago
Tech Ben
Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 15+ years of experience as an Information Systems Manager; responsible for overseeing computer and network systems, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, etc.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

We are sorry to hear about your experience. I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today.

Can you please let me know if since when you have started having this issue? Are you using Genuine HP Cartridges?

Thanks,

Kumar

The issue started today and as already stated they are not HP cartridges hence my attempt to delete the security device as advised on your website
Im not paying a further £33 so that the total cost is more than the original cost of the printer. Also the device is under warranty so any fix should be free.

I strongly believe that's the issue. HP Strongly recommends to use Genuine HP Cartridges. Non HP ones work but should never be used. I recommend you to change the cartridges to genuine ones and check.

Thanks

Kumar

Well that was an expensive way to get nothing. Hp recognise that non HP cartridges are used and presumably has come under pressure to allow customers to by pass the security system. Obviously HP would like to make money our of there own cartridges, but have to recognise the buyers drive to save cash.I guess that this is a sad reflection on HP and I will be buying an alternative next time.

Okay, can you please try to reboot the printer.

To Reboot,

Unplug the power adapter

Press and HOLD the power button for 60 seconds

Plug in the Power adapter but do not release HOLD

Release Power Button HOLD

Turn the device on

No effect
I presume that the "power adaptor" is the mains lead and the power button is the one at the left hand side.

By Power Adapter I meant the Power Cord connected to the printer from the AC mains or Surge Protector. We need to unplug it and replug it as per instructions shared. We'll also need to press the Power Button on the printer.

Thanks,

Kumar

I asked because it seems counter intuitive to kill the power yet the printer reboots itself.
I ve now done it 3 times with no effect.
When the original cartridges were replaced they had absolutely no ink in them, so there wasn't a printer failure at that point. The problem certainly seemed to start with the non HP catridges. However I have followed carefully your (HP) instructions to avoid the security device including deleting the original software and reinstalling it again off your website.I intended to buy a new set of HP cartridges to test out the system, but in the meantime saw your help facility so gave it a try not realising that it was an HP money pit.
Tomorrow I will get a set of cartridges to prove the point and if they work then the printer will have to go and be replaced by one that tolerates boot leg catridges. The printer is only used for business accounts so print quality is not critical.
Seems odd though that your patch on your website to delete the security system didn't work.