Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Check cartridge, alarm is lite copy, canon MP530 8 bk 5 pgbk…

Customer Question
Check cartridge, alarm is...

Check cartridge, alarm is lite copy

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Canon MP530 8 bk 5 pgbk 8 y 8 m 8 c

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Dell window 7

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Today error U052 check cartridge

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

The alarm is lit and machine is on copy and will not move to fax

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/10/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This is not a cartridge issue.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2006 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

thank you for your service, how much will that cost ?

You're very welcome.

You would have paid the amount shown on the payment page when posting your question. I can't see that detail as we are all independent techs here.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,