Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

The On/Off switch appears to be stuck in the 'down/on'

Customer Question

The On/Off switch appears to be stuck in the 'down/on' position. I cannot turn off to 'reboot' printer Model MFC-L5800DW.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: BROTHER MODEL MFC-L5800DW. Purchased June 10, 2017.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacOS Sierra Version 10.12.16
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Did not notice until right now when printed pages were filled with black lines rather than type
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our electrical outlets in this room (our "office"/guest bedroom) went 'south' so we connected via extension cord from adjoining bedroom outlet that is functional.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Try unplugging the printer from the power, and leave it that way, for 5+ minutes.

Does that help?

For the power switch to be stuck is very rate. Your printer is rather new to be so faulty. Can the power switch work, while the printer is unplugged, or is it still stuck?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Power switch still stuck.

OK... unless you want to put up with it being always On, you will have to get servicing for this printer in your region or neighborhood. Please tell me your local zip code and/or town/city and state, so that I can advise you in the specifics (of getting servicing free of charge! which you are entitled to in this sort of case.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let's try. Arcata, CA 95521.

OK! for that region, the place to take your Brother printer for under-warranty service-repairing (or replacement, at their option) by Brother USA, would be one of these locations:

...amazingly and an unusually good chance: there is one within '0 miles' of you... this almost never happens... and it is this one:

ALTERNATIVE BUSINESS CONCEPTS*****SUITE 2
ARCATA, CA 95521

Distance: 0 miles
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

and if that's not in business any more - call first to check, of course - there is this one, farther away:

CARREL'S OFFICE MACHINES*****br />REDDING, CA 96001

Distance: 89 miles
Phone:(###) ###-####strong>

and there are others still farther away, if neither of these can help you.

Let me know how inquiries there go, please. Thanks. (Be sure to have your sales slip or credit card records of the purchase of your printer, showing proof of date of purchase, in hand when claiming Brother warranty-covered status.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will IF I can reach...my 'tech' skills are not great (in my mid-70's). Thank you.

You have reached me. You can reach me again, by going to http://www.justanswer.com/printers/ao3g3-on-off-switch-appears-stuck-down-on.html

the page devoted to your question and case... and that link hopefully will open the page automatically when clicked on. Thanks... I'd care to know that I helped you with this advice and information.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Very nice. I will let you know what happens. Thanks.

A-OK. Good luck!

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will advise or help you further.)