Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Cannon MX920 Printer. After two years of problem…

Customer Question
I have a Cannon...

I have a Cannon MX920 Printer. After two years of problem free use, suddenly the telephone used with this machine cuts off after a few minutes of use. None of the other phones in the house do this, and I changed phones to use a different one with this machine, and the different one cuts off when being used with this machine whereas it did not cut off when used elsewhere. What is happening?

Technician's Assistant: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It has not done it until just the last week or two. The machine will be two years old this coming Christmas.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

A Dell PC. I am not sure about the operating system. I use Windows 10, and I use Google Chrome to access the Internet.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Approximately two months. I was not aware that anything specific happened before it popped up.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

When talking on the phone, without warning the line goes dead. When I reestablish contact with the person I was speaking to, they report having heard a "fax" sound before the phone cut off.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/10/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I will need to ask several questions, to determine how to best advise you:
- Is the Canon MX920 hooked up to the phone line, please?

- Is the phone line service normal landline phone service, or is it Digital/VoIP/Vonage/UVerse/Comcast/MagicJack/etc. ?

- Do you use the fax much at all?