Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Getting error code 0x97, epson workforce wf-3640, pc, about

Customer Question

getting error code 0x97
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: epson workforce wf-3640
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: about 4 months
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i tried to do the updates on the web it nt let me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still no change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for half that. Luckily, this is a newer model, so depending on purchase date you may still be under the epson warranty (if registered when new, they usually extend it to 2 years), and can file a warranty claim to have them repair it. Beyond the warranty, it would cost more to fix than to replace.

Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help with contact info to file a warranty claim or replacement recommendations if needed.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,