Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon MX922. Error B200. Was trying to print document in…

Customer Question
Canon MX922. Error...

Canon MX922. Error B200. Was trying to print long document in landscape mode and received error. Printer now is offline.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Canon Pixma MX922, maybe 5 years old.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC, Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just happened now. I had just printed another document in portrait mode, had tried to do duplex but could not so I printed on single side.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Have been having problem getting scanner to scan recently.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/8/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Let me try clearning, reset. Shouldn't hurt to try.
Let me try it if you think I can.

No it doesn't hurt, other than being a bit messy,

No.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, and the printhead (carriage assembly) then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back of the head, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the head and the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

I don't know what you are saying no to. Please allow me time to respond. I sent an answer above.

I bought a new printer.

Thank you, ***** ***** what I was recommending as well.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,