Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Brother MFC-5720DW cannot detect LC 203BK black cartridge,

Customer Question
Brother MFC-5720DW cannot detect...

Brother MFC-5720DW cannot detect LC 203BK black cartridge

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

It Its 3 months old.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

It has been printing fine since the beginning. Its a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just this minute. Printer ran out of black as I was printing flyers.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/8/2017
Technician: Sudipto, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Sudipto, Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP

Did you replace the ink cartridge with a new one?

Then I tried another one. Same thing.
Any ideas?
I don't wish to remotely connect.

OK, remove the cartridge and clean the contacts on the printhead with a cotton swab and IP alcohol and then, reseat the cartridge and let me know.

Where's the printhead? Cartridge or printer?

The printhead is the chamber in which you install the cartridge.

I did that and same issue.

Do you use genuine Brother ink cartridge?

OK, do you have the old cartridge?

I do

Ok, remove the new cartridge and then restart the printer and insert the old cartridge, let me know if the pritner is able to detect the old cartridge and show the empty or replace cartiridge message or not?

It cannot

Ok, it means the problem with the printhead, lets try to hard reset the printer, unplug the printer for 10 mins. and then, check the result.

Okay. same thing.
I need to go. I will leave it unplugged over the weekend and hope for the best. Can I get back in touch with you?

Ok, no problem just reply me here.

Okay, so it was unplugged all weekend. I just cleaned the printheads again. I am getting the same error message to "press in firmly" which I do and no difference.
Are you there and available?
Hello? Trying to reach you after the weekend.
Hello?

I could not reply me you as you have opted me out. If you are still facing the same problem then, unfortunately, the problem is with the printhead and in that case, you have to replace the printhead from any repair shop. You are lucky that the printer is only 3 months old, you can get the printer replaced from Brother free of cost as this is a printhead problem. Please let me know if you need any further help or information otherwise, please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.