Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

No printing. all paper. new drum and cartridges, quite old…

Customer Question
No printing. all paper...

No printing. all paper white. new drum and cartridges

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Quite old and has served me fine so far (HP 2840)

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

A few months have newest OS

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
9/8/2017
Technician: Md. Sadique, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer

Hi, I'm Sadique. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

ok thx.
am going to bed in a few minutes and will see your answer tomorrow

Remove the cartridges from the printer, and then shake it to redistribute the toner.

Then try printing.

did that already, current cartridges are new

Is there any piece of orange plastic or packaging material still attached to the drum or cartridges?

Did the blank print problem begin immediately after a new toner cartridge and drum unit were installed?

no plastic and yes it started after new cartridges. It might have something to do with the solenoid as I read on some of the forums. do you have any good instruction on how to cope with this?

The most common and likely cause to this type of problem are:

1. There are thin plastic reflectors behind black toner cartridge and they might be dirty which prevents the laser light reflecting off of them properly and thus toner is not collected up and put onto your printout.

2. Beam alignment lenses (mirrors) is dirty.

We will have to try cleaning the printer. For cleaning, you need to have toner cloth, toner vacuum, a paint brush.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Open the printer and remove the toner cartridge.

2. Use a toner cloth and wipe the toner cartridge.

3. Then using your toner vacuum to remove spilled toner from within the printer’s internal compartment. Make sure the vacuum’s nozzle is not actually touching any of the printer's internal surfaces.

4. Then using a paintbrush, remove toner from any crevices. Use gentle motions and vacuum as necessary.

5. Then dip a cotton swab into isopropyl alcohol and gently run it along the length of the Corona wire. Also be sure to clean the underside of the wires. Never apply pressure.

6. After that replace everything back.

If you don't have the toner vacuum, toner cloth then it will be very expensive for you to perform this cleaning operation because a new toner vacuum will cost you around 200-300$.

I would suggest you take the help of a local printer repair shop to do the cleaning and replace the necessary part.

I can give you the contact of a local printer repair shop near your area if you tell me your city name.

Is there anything else I can help with?

thx. last request: some extra info regarding the procedure for the solenoid repair

This solenoid keeps the carousel in position while you're printing any given color and then releases so the carousel can be rotated to get to the next color.

In some cases, the carousel does not latch the toner cartridge which in turn is unable to transfer toner to the intermediate transfer belt.
It happens if the solenoid arm develops a crack and becomes bend or the foam rubber piece that is in between the solenoid arm and the magnetic coil deteriorates.

You need to disassemble the printer to where you can remove the solenoid, then remove the arm from the solenoid.
Then clean off the tarry residue and replace it with a very thin felt pad, you can get them at a dollar store/WalMart.
Don't buy the higher quality thick pads. It won't work. You need to have something in between the metal arm and the metal center of the solenoid or the residual magnetism that has developed in the metal will cause the two pieces to stick together.

I will give you a service manual which will help you in disassembling the printer.

Please click this link to access the service manual: http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HPC/CLJ2820_2830_2840.pdf

I can move the carousel a bit (2 inches) when I open the printer. Does that indicate the solenoid problem?
If yes: on what page does the manual tell me how to do this as you told me?
Open the solenoid and check the arm to see if the pads have worn out or have disintegrated and developed sticky liquid.
Go to page 87 of the manual to find details of the solenoid and clutches.
ok I will start to work with this info. Thx again

Keep me posted!

Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer