John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Brother MFC-J6520DW. One of the color cartridges (yellow in

Customer Question

Brother MFC-J6520DW. One of the color cartridges (yellow in this case) doesn't print. I have switched cartridges with same result. I have cleaned the nozzles multiple times. No error message except "couldn't detect ink volume" at first. That cleared when I installed a different yellow cartridge. Test page gives a very, very light squares sometimes interspersed with full dots of cyan (next one over).
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: First line of my message. Brother MFC-J6520DW.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac, v10.12.6
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It happened while printing the last page of 3 or 4 sheets. it was an event, not a gradual thing. Happened Tuesday. No issues similar to this ever. Had the machine for several years. Yellow cartridge was nearly full.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today....when you replaced the ink cartridge did you do both the test print and aliment? do you know how to do it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did just the test print, not the alignment

Would you like me to give a link with instructions which contains pictures to guide you or would you like me to type the instructions here for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you want me to perform the aligment test? I know how to do that.

Before the alignment we must fist reset any cache corrupted memory within the printer....give me a second I can tell you how.

first get the printer into the position of replacing the cartridges and and while opened then unplug the printer and leave it like that for a full minute......let me know when you do that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have opened the door to the ink compartment and unplugged the machine

The printer should be not be plugged in while the ink cartridges on "replacement" position.

ok after a full minute plug back in the printer and let me know what it does while it powers on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you just want the door open or do you want a cartridge pulled out before I plug it back in.

the door should remain opened while you plug it back in

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
error message: "Close ink cover"

ok now close it and let me know if it recognizes all the cartridges with its proper ink levels.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Same appearance for "ink volume" as before. When I replace the yellow cartridge I told it I had done so, so that volume looks good since then.

any possible corrupted cache should have been eliminated, so no let's proceed with the aliment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A is the best

so what results did you get?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a is best

now can you tried printing something as simple as the Google HomePage and let me know how it comes out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5 - 7 best
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I printed a logo with a yellow flower, still no yellow color.

OK, it sounds like the printhead is clogged.....let's do the printhead cleaning procedure......do you know how?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already done it at least a half dozen times.

Just to clearify this is a Brother OEM yellow cartridge......not a refill right?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been using this brand of remanufactured cartridges for years with no problems ever.

I understand your statement, but please keep an open mind and understand that NOT all remanufactured cartridges are made the same, they don't have the same level of quality as a Brother cartridge would.......I would honestly try a OEM cartridge first before calling it a problem within the printer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Company line. Refund my money. Bye.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I approved $5 charge. I received a $33 receipt from PayPal. "You sent a payment of $33.00 USD to JustAnswer
(*****@******.***)" Please refund the extra $28 that I did not acknowledge or approve.
Expert:  crash2199 replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the long wait.

Do you still need help with your issue?