Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Can't print 75 line on legal size paper with lpt command.

Customer Question

Can't print 75 line on legal size paper with lpt command
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Epson stylus c88+
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: ibm pc parallel print
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: first time I programmed 69 powerball lotto. Always worked for 649 programs with 49 numbers
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it, printer adjustments for legal size don't seem to work. prints only total of66 lines
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Syseng replied 1 month ago.

My name is David.

Just to clarify, the printer is printing from a DOS computer?

Also, what is the exact lpt command you are using to print the 75 line documents?

Expert:  Syseng replied 1 month ago.

Do you still need further assistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thank you. No real reply from you.
Expert:  Syseng replied 1 month ago.

I cannot provide an answer without the necessary information. That is why I asked for more information such as whether or not the operating system is DOS (or other operating system), and the exact lpt command you are using to print the 75 line documents. If you provide this information I can assist you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
GWBASIC, on DOS naturally. Works well on 649 programs not on powerball 69.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

unless you are putting a page command in that number is ***** on the printer.

it will do a page eject whenever the printer thinks it has hit the end of the page

so you might want to check whether anything else in the program has set the printer to a specific page or font or margin that would affect that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess I did not present a clear picture of the problem to you good, knowledgeable guys. I said I made adjustments to the printer properties and preferences. Perhaps you should duplicate the situation I am in. IBM PC, Win 7 Ultimate, one pc connected parallel to hp 1200 laserjet, another ibm pc connected to Epson stylus 88+, ON GWBASIC, make printer do lprint nos 1 to 75 on legal size paper using printer adjustments for legal size paper You can duplicate this situations using any desktop on any printer on any OS on any basic program.. The problem is in the lprint to printer compatibility, I think.. No connected viewing, no contracts with you. I will pay you only if you solve this problem. This will be my last reply to you..
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

Sorry but for me to dupiicate your hardware is silly

Even if I did and I said it works for me you would say it doesn't for me

So we would be down to checking every adjustment you made to the printer settings

But you don't want to do that now

Maybe instead comparing to me. You should compare to the other programs you said worked. Is the font the same. Does it start printing at the same length from the top. End the same?

There are ctrl codes that you can send to the Laserjet that will change line spacing. I would find them for you but you don't want to communicate with me anymore

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Again you miss some things. The Lprint command does not work on usb's directly.
Lprint commands are sent to parallel port LPT1. The Lprint command will print on usb printers(serial) if the signal is converted first from parallel to serial. By construction, laser printers will print on more lines than inkjet printers.. Thanks, ***** ***** am presently testing two softwares to make Lprint to usb printers. Goodbye. I am not satisfied. Thanks anyway.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** not get everybody to say some more odd things for replies.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe your knowledgeable guys have specialties on something else other than this problem.