Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

We installed a new router for wifi and now my printer is off

Customer Question
line. How do I...
we installed a new router for wifi and now my printer is off line. How do I coment it to the new router?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: brother MFC-685CW - I think maybe five years old?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: we simply installed a new router this afternoon and now my printer is offline. It is no longer connected to our wifi network. So I need to connect the printer to the new router and cannot figure out how to do that. I think this has to be done from the printer itself but I have been through the menu's and cannot see where to do that?
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
9/8/2017
Technician: Jon, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

ok - it is all in the screen above?

yes one sec...typing you instructions

Actullly due to your time and so you can see what I mean. PLease see if you can access this PDF file from http://download.brother.com/welcome/doc002248/cv_dcp770w_eng_net.pdf and starting on page 22 under the title "Using the setup wizard from the control panel" please follow the steps 1-22.

This should get your printer connected to your new wifi router you will just need to know your network name and password.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

this has not worked and has been no help at all....I feel tricked into getting charged both $5 and then anohter $28 the latter I have no idea what it was for.please cancel me out of whatever you have signed me up for and I will dispute these charges with my credit card company.

Customer service

In order to complete your refund, please visit the following site:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Or you can call 1(###) ###-####/p>

Thank you.

Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 2 months ago
Robert M., Consultant

I am a different expert and i will be happy to help you.

I have walked people through this many times.

first do you know the router name and the passkey for the router. This is the same code that you put in any device that you want to hook to the internet through the new router such as a phone, tablet or computer.

first delete the printer from the devices and printers folder

then click on "add a printer"

select network if it asks network or local

it will scan the network for the printer

if it finds it just hit next next next etc and it will be set up again and it will work

if it DOES NOT FIND IT

On your machine, press Menu.

Press ▲ or ▼ to choose LAN and press OK.

Press ▲ or ▼ to choose WLAN and press OK.

Press ▲ or ▼ to choose Setup Wizard and press OK.

When Network I/F switched to Wireless is displayed, press OK to accept.

This will start the wireless setup wizard.

The machine will search for available SSIDs.

If a list of SSIDs is displayed, use the ▲ or ▼ keys to choose your router name

Use the ▲,▼ and OK keys to choose Authentication with WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP or AES) Encryption: Choose WPA/WPA2-PSK, press OK

it will ask you if it is AES or TKIP it is probably TKIP but if that doesnt work try AES it depends on the router settings

use the keypad to put in the passkey for your router the way an old cellphone did texts

ie hit the number 1 key once for 1 twice for a three times for b the number 2 key twice for d etc

it will cycle through the number and the 3 letters and the caps for each of them as you tap the key

its tiresome but you need to do it to get the passkey in. once its done correctly you will probably never have to do it again

press ok when the passkey is complete

then press 1 to accept it

the printer should connect to the router

repeat the first part about the add printer button in the devices and printers folder on the computer

this time it should find the printer on the network and you can hit next next .. etc

Technician: Syseng, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

Syseng
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer