John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a letter of about 25 lines in Word. About 10 lines

Customer Question

I have a letter of about 25 lines in Word. About 10 lines print in their entirety including the signature line andebt a couple of ps's. The top line prints the bottom half of the words, next line blank, next bottom half, next 2 has the top half, next blank, next perfect, etc. Hope you can help - have hurricane on the way and need to get this into tomorrow's mail!!!
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Epson xp-400 about 8 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Dell PC all-in-one. I don'the know what OS is - really miss my IT guy since I retired!
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Have not printed anything in a while. Earlier in the summer it wouldn't print in black, but that has resolved. I ran it's maintenance things several times.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

You are at www.justanswer.com services.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible

do you have windows 7, 8 or 10 on the pc

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10 - I did, at least for my immediate need, solve the problem. It prints perfectly in navy blue, dark green - just not in black. Thanks
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

open the computer, open control panel..devices and printer

right click on printer icon and click on print test page

let me know if test page prints completely or has missing lines

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no "print test page" when I click the printer icon. Sorry for delays - we are working on evacuating for hurricane. Thanks
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

no problems

i understand

you need to right click on the printer icon and then click on printer properties

then click print test page

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It printed, in blue, a page with a printer icon on the upper right and the words Windows Printer Test Page. That's all. I have to go out for an hour or so now.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

no problems

i will give few steps below

you may try once you are back

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.
  1. Press the home button,
  2. Press the left or right arrow buttons to select Setup and press the OK button.
  3. Press the up or down arrow buttons to select Maintenance and press the OK button.
  4. Press the up or down arrow buttons to select Head Cleaning and press the OK button
  5. Press the start button to begin the cleaning cycle.
  6. once done print a nozzle check and let me know if it prints all colors or not