Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Won't print. It is a MP495 Series. Says error 5800. Where do…

Customer Question
Won't print. It is...

Won't print. It is a MP495 Series. Says error 5800.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Where do you locate model #? It is an MP495 color printer/scanner. Not sure how old, but certainly not new.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Pc

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just happened. Tried to print and everything was flashing, but no print. Also, Ink cartridges do not slide into view.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 7 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

What machine do you suggest for replacement?

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2iDSGsO or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.