Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It's printing jibberish. And...I can't figure out how to…

Customer Question
It's printing jibberish. And...I...

It's printing jibberish. And...I can't figure out how to change the settings on it or our weigh scale to make them talk to each other correctly.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

New Epson TM-U295

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

No computer. I'm printing directly from a weigh scale indicator XK3190-D10P

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Haven't got them to work at all yet.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

All the instructions I've found online (with the exception of the small manual I got) are in Chinese.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/7/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to help you today. I may have some follow-up questions to help me better understand your question.

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

There is no button to hold. It's a switch that is either on or off.

OK put it in the off position and try it like that.

I have done a systems check on it holding the release button while switching on. I get the following info:
Version 3.02 ESC/POS
Serial Interface
Baud Rate: 9600bps
Data Bits: 8 bits
Parity: None
Stop bit: 1 bit or more
Handshaking: XON/XOFF
Receive error: ignoredBuffer Capacity
512

Does it have the 3 LED lights for DIAG and post?

They should be on the back?

Okay this is not the model I thought it was - let me opt out for another expert to have a look at this. You will bee mailed once they reply.

Okay. Thanks.
Technician: Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager replied 11 months ago
Tech Ben
Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 15+ years of experience as an Information Systems Manager; responsible for overseeing computer and network systems, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, etc.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

The best thing I can provide you with is the PDF copy of the manual. It includes instructions in English. Please have a look.

Thanks,

Kumar

I have that manual. It doesn't help me figure out why they won't talk together correctly.

Okay.. Let's work on this then.

Now, how are you connecting the weighing machine with the printer. Do you have a serial DB9 Male/DB9 Female 8C Null Modem Cable?

Please let me know in the box below.

Thanks,

Kumar

The cord I am using is (I believe) a DB9 male to DB9 male. Both the printer and the weighing machine have female 25 pin connections in the back. Someone I was talking to suggested that perhaps the weighing machine is parallel where the printer is serial. I'm not sure what that means but thought I'd mention it.

The printer is also Parallel as far as I know. Can you please unplug the power cord from the printer.

Press and HOLD the Power Key which should be on the right on the device for 60 seconds, attached a screenshot for your reference.

Plug in the power adapter but do not release HOLD.

Release HOLD and power on the device.

Thanks,

Kumar