Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My MG 7120 has had a problem for months with printing blank…

Customer Question
Hi. My MG...

Hi. My MG 7120 has had a problem for months with printing blank pages. I have gone through the deep cleaning, etc. with no change. Then I'll turn it off and try printing in a few days and it works flawlessly. This has happened 5 or 6 times. Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

It's over a year old.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I had a Windows 10 PC and switched to a Mac last year. I can't recall if I had this problem with the PC. Mac version 10.12.6

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Have had issue for about a year without warning. It either prints fine or nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/7/2017
Technician: Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist replied 11 months ago
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please try the following and let me know the response.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.

Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.

Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

If any of the cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.

Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.

Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Hello Shefin,
I tried your suggestion and none of the cartridges are printing. When this issue comes up either all cartridges print fine or don't print at all.

It seems like a driver issue. Please try the following.

1. On your Mac computer. choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the Printers & Scanners. window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.
    Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

Let me know the result.

Thank you.

Sorry - The printer did reset but this did not solve the problem.

Were you able to add the printer after resetting the printing system?

Are you able to copy like Xerox without using the computer?

Thank you.

I was able to add the printer after resetting.
Using the copy function directly from the printer results in blank page also.
As I noted in my initial problem description, I can come back in a couple of days and the printer will work fine.
Does this sound like it could be an electronic or firmware issue?

Please turn off the printer, unplug all of it's cables. Then, press and hold the power button for a minute.

Then, release the power button and wait for another two minutes. Then, plugin the cables and restart the printer. Check if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Still no print.

It seems a hardware/firmware issue. Please try installing the firmware from the link below.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/mg7120?tab=drivers_downloads

Thank you.

Firmware installed successfully but still not printing.

I apologize that I am out of ideas. I will open the question for other experts.

Thank you.

Ok, thank you.
Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 11 months ago
Robert M., Consultant

thats a clogged or defective printhead.

usually the self cleaning routine works. But if it is a bad enough clog it wont.

You should be able to remove the entire printhead by first removing the cartridges and then there should be a simple locking lever that when you release it the entire printhead that the cartridges sat in will pull up and out.

At this point you can either replace it.

they go for about 30 bucks on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272681709050?chn=ps&dispItem=1

you can probably find it cheaper than that if you search for QY6-0083 which is the model number

OR

you can try cleaning it manually

soak it in warm water changing the water every few hours until it no longer turns colors

then dry it thoroughly and replace it the same way you took it out.

that works most of the time though it takes a while.

The fact that this has happened at least 6 or 7 times, and the printer recovers completely on its own after it's been off for a few days, would lead me to think it's not a clogged printhead. Any idea if a defective printhead could act like this? I'd rather not buy a new head if the problem is in the electronics. Your thoughts?

in that case i would still take it out

but try cleaning the contacts between the printhead and the printer and between the cartridge and the printhead it may be losing connection intermittenty so it does not get the message to print

Cleaned all contacts and still won't print. Just to be clear the printer is going through all the motions but no ink coming out of head. Based on experience the last few months, in a few days I expect printer to start printing and work fine for a few weeks before problem comes back.

It might be a bad ink pump