John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My HP ENVY 4500 all-in-one is connected to power with ON

Customer Question

my HP ENVY 4500 all-in-one is connected to power with ON light showing on printer and WIFI is connected and on. From laptop test pages print out successfully....but.....printer will not (or will very occasionally) operate from documents, outlook messages etc. Scanner same and showing Scanner not connected? I have just had an update of Windows10 and have a Trend Micro Security system. I have contacted Microsoft help & Toshiba (pch 2012 serial no. XA 351204Q) help with no success.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Laptop or Printer? Forgot to mention previously both printer & scanner were working perfectly. Lois
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: TOSHIBA PC, serial no.XA 351204Q, model no. PSK1 JA-0ED017. I'm sorry I don't know what OS I have running. Where do I find that ino? Lois
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Only the past few weeks. My computer originally was with Windows7, then was updated to Windows10. years ago. Early August it was infected with a very invasive Chinese Virus, my local Tech backed up all current Data on an external hard drive, cleaned the Laptop of the virus, downloaded from the backup external hard drive, many things were lost including all Outlook Contacts & Trend Micro Security sys. At that point he upgraded Windows10 and I got my Laptop back two weeks ago. I have since reinstalled Trend Micro Security, however, since the return of my Laptop I have had this print/scan problem. Sorry to be so long getting back, hope info is helpful. Lois
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that printing & scanning via WI.FI has always been very successful before this hiccup. I have tried everything avenue I can think of to make this work and the most confusing thing is that my HP operates perfectly and is fully connected but the laptop just doesn't seem to be able to communicate. Lois
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to help you today. I may have some follow-up questions to help me better understand your question.

Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.
Thanks
Kris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am ready now, if that is OK?
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kris, is the $55 fee in addition to the fee I am already being charged?
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it's optional though..