Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It will not print-trouble code b504 keeps coming up,

Customer Question
It will not print-trouble...

It will not print-trouble code b504 keeps coming up

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?

Mb2320-the code is correct

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

It is a pc

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing reallit just kept running like it was procrssing something the an error message come up

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not realy

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/6/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 3 year old model, that was built for a maximum service life of 3 years, so this is pretty typical to see just from normal age related wear and tear. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,