Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The printer is telling me there is a paper jam...but there…

Customer Question
The printer is telling...

The printer is telling me there is a paper jam...but there is not. Is there a reset putton I need to use?

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is approximately 2 years (max) old. it is the workforce 3640

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Pc

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I was printing. it jammed. I cleared the jam but cannot clear the notification

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Printers
9/6/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to help you today. I may have some follow-up questions to help me better understand your question.

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is on and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

done

OK - connect it back up and tell me If this helps you?

Thanks

Kris

no it is still reading paper jam
you got my response correct. It still reads paper jam

Ok the service log is telling me to reset it, is that OK?

Thanks

Kris

that's what I think it needs but I can't find a reset button
  1. Press the home button, if necessary.
  2. Select Setup.
  3. Scroll down and select System Administration. ...
  4. Scroll down and select Restore Default Settings. ...
it does not alow me to do anything. when I select the home button it says this operation is invalid
i even have a reset button but it says the same thing when I press it

Can you try it after rebooting it, that's not normal.

let me reboot

Ok great

nope
I held down the power button until it turned off then turned back on again and it went right back to paper jam

Does the menu controls work after the reboot?

That's unusual that the controls do not work

this printer is so simple there is no place for paper to hide. no all buttons respond with the same message
the only button that doesn't give me that response it the blue button with a diamond on it. when I press it, the machine goes to "preparing" then immediately to paperjam again

Yep, basically the sensor fails and thinks it's jammed all the time.. that's why we need to reset it but in your case, for some reason I have never seen, the controls are ALSO not working.

hmmmm doesn't sound good

One thing. Can you open the ink covers and try getting into the menu?

The "Ink tray if open" message may stall the paper jam messege and allows us in..

are you saying open the lid that reveals the ink cartridges?

Yes, and once you've done that while it is open, reboot it.

ok I held down the power button until it rebooted but it went right back to same message. How about unplug then hold down button for 30 seconds

Did you do this with the ink trays open?

I'm going to need to leave and will be back in 1 hour is that OK?

not sure what you mean by that. with the lid open to where the ink trays.....ok getting a different code this time. says printer error. turn the power off and on again. for details, see your docuentation or visit epson.com error code.OxEA
I believe it is fixed. Please text me when you get back in. I think opening the cover and rebooting made it reset. I'll print here in a minute and let you know for sure
Now it is working but it is not talking to my computer. Please contact me as soon as you get back in
Now I have to run out on an appointment. I won't be back until about 8:00 pm. Can we make an appointment for in the morning to finish this?

Let me know when you get back

It will probably not be before 9:00. Can we reconvene in early afternoon?
I may have u connect and just get my computer talking to my printer

Tomorrow is fine with me message me on here.

OK that's no issue