Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

We downloaded new windows 10 software and now we are getting

Customer Question

we downloaded new windows 10 software and now we are getting a code 97 on our printer and now we cannot print anything
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: it is an Epson workforce wf 3640
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: HP and we have windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: when we downloaded the new software yesterday for Microsoft then the printer no longer worked and we get the error message, I turned it off and on again, unplugged the printer and took all the cables off for 5 minutes and replugged everything in but still get the error code of 97
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no this is it - just for the heck of it I even tried to do a copy and that did not work either - I got the same error
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Sadique. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The most common and likely cause to this type of problem is either some foreign object/paper dust is stuck in the paper feed or printer, or the paper sensor in the feed tray has become dirty or defective.

Turn Off the printer, unplug it from the power as well as from computer completely.Then remove all paper from the paper feed unit and blow it out with compressed air a few times. With a flashlight look inside the paper feed to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen.

Next, take moistened Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder using it. Then blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust and to dry the rollers.

Holding the printer in both hands, turn it upside down and gently shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area.

Then plug the printer back up and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper.Then try to print again.

If still, it doesn't help then as a last resort you can try forcing a thick paper or fold an A4 piece of paper in half, and then by hand push it through the machine, hopefully, this may push any objects out.

After that turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by unplugging it from the power source.
Then unplug it from the computer and leave it that way for 10 minutes. Then replace everything back.

Tell me how it goes!