Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My old Epson Stylus Pro 9000 printer hasn't worked since I

My old Epson Stylus Pro...
My old Epson Stylus Pro 9000 printer hasn't worked since I bought it from somebody. It won't recognize the paper. A trouble shooter told me that the ink cartridges had overflowed the maintenance cartridge and I needed to clean the printer, install the maintenance cartridges, then the ink cartridges. How do I do that?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 20 years old and its an Epson Stylus Pro 9000.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Well, since the printer is so old, I had to install it by putting the drivers through a windows 2000 emulator on an old PC.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I really never got it to run since I bought it 1 year ago. I purchased the two maintenance cartridges and the 6 ink cartridges but the techy guy never showed up.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Another techy guy said it was the mother board malfunctioning but that is unavailable.
8/22/2017
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Thank you, ***** ***** Was the trouble shooter correct I his assessment?
I would have to change computers and lose my connection with you through this computer.
Are you there?

Yes, I am here. I was just reviewing the research on the maintenance cartridge. If you want to change computers and return to this chat session, you can do that easily by selecting the link in your notification email.

Do I select securely connect first?

Your troubleshooters may both be correct. Your large format printer has two waste ink pads, one on the left and one on the right. But when the waste ink pads get full, your printer should display an error message to that effect. If it does not display an error message, there could be a problem with the main board.

I am not sure that there is advantage to a secure remote connection at this point, unless we can devise a strategy for dealing with your printer.

Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
OK. But can you walk me through how to clean the printer prior to installing the maintenance cartridges?

Yes. Can you give me a few minutes to retrieve some reference material?

I apologize for the delay. So far, I have found this brief illustrated guide for replacing the Maintenance Tanks:

hhttps://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pro78_/pro78_rf/trans_3.htm#replacing the maintenance tank a

Here is the part no.:

https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pro78_/pro78_rf/optio_2.htm#maintenance tank b

Here is a link to the ordering information on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-C12C890191-Stylus-Maintenance-Tank/dp/B0009SQKP2

Will the links on this chat be available after the session closes?

Every chat message is accompanied by a notification email that is sent to the email address that you submitted when you registered on our website.

I didn't get the link to the brief illustration guide. It had two hh's at the beginning and was truncated at the other end. Can you send it again?

Here is a reference on resetting the maintenance tank: https://tinyurl.com/maint-tank

When you say resetting the tank is that the same as replacing the tank? Semantics.

Here is the link to the brief illustrated installation guide again:

https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pro78_/pro78_rf/trans_3.htm#replacing the maintenance tank a

OK. I'll try to make it from here. Before I leave would you know where the mother board for this printer can be purchased?

Not semantics. It is necessary to replace the waste ink counters when the tanks are replaced.

You can try Ebay.

Oh. Are the counters internal in the machine or separate and must be purchased?

The counters are internal to the machine. They are reset by depressing a unique a combination of keys on the large format printer control panel.

OK. Thank you much Mr. Kalman.

Here is a link to the main logic board, which is the politically correct term for mother board:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pulled-Epson-DFX-9000-PCB-Main-Logic-Board-2103150-KA21203-B12X-/172743675454?hash=item2838534e3e:g:G-8AAOSwXY5ZS-pY

You are very welcome. u also might want to purchase another Epson Stylus Pro 9000 used on Ebay and cannibalize it for spare parts. It might be cheaper for you. The main logic board is pricey at $675.

OK. Goodnight.

Have a great night. And thank u for choosing Just Answer.

Mr. Kalman, Sir, Are You available?

Hello again. I am available now.

Hi Mr. Kalman. I managed to remove the issue with the printer not recognizing the paper. I now get a ready signal when the printer is ready. I downloaded the driver under an emulated windows 2000 on a windows 7 computer. It prints a blank page when I print from windows 7 and gives an error message with the port when I print from the emulated windows 2000. I changed the cartridges but nothing. What can I do?
Hi, Mr. Kalman, are you there?

What is your name?

Mr. Kalman, my name is ***** ***** we spoke about the Epson Stylus Pro 9000 two days ago.

Where did you get the Windows 2000 Emulator?

A friend bought it from Ebay and put it on the Windows 7 through Oracle VM Virtual Machine.

The official Epson Support website just happens to have drivers for your large format printer for the Windows 2000, OS, but they also have them for Windows 7, 32 bit and 64 bit. What made you think that you needed to use an emulator?

When I went to Epson.com and searched 9000 the operating system choices did not include any windows 7, 32 or 64.
What is the URL for the official Epson Support website?

I always Google the printer and then choose an official website. The one I got at the top of the search list was this one from Epson Europe:

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=m1wn+Ac10H+NjXvcJozFl7X61IIQc7D2&tc=6

The one from Epson US only had Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

I went to the website and found Epson stylus pro but not 9000 and the drivers didn't reflect stylus pro 9000 either. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Where is it?
Did you see Epson stylus pro 9000 in the Europe Epson site?
HEEEYYYY! I found it! But now I don't know which entry is the driver; It doesn't say.
Mr. Kalman, which of the utilities is the driver for windows 7 64-bit?

Sorry, I meant to send you the above message a few minutes ago. It looks like great minds run in the same direction!

Bad news. Those are not drivers. WE are back to square one.

I do not have any experience using Oracle VM software. It seems to me that it could have problems interfacing with peripheral hardware, which may account for your port error.

Do you know how to use compatibility with firefox? I tried to make firefox windows 2000 and download the united states drivers but for some reason it didn't take. Any ideas?

My Google search returned this non-official website:

http://www.driverscape.com/download/epson-stylus-pro-9000

It has a driver installer and a driver that is specified to work for Win 7 through Win 10.

I usually hesitate to use these sites, because they really want to sell you their Driver Utility Update software. But we have no choice in this case, because the manufacturer of the printer does not support the latest operating systems. I have Norton Antivirus software, and it has scanned both of these downloads and found them to be safe.

Please uninstall your printer drivers from your Windows 7 OS by going to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program and delete the print server icons in Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > View Devices &Printers. Then restart your computer and download and install the installer and driver I just sent you. I will be online waiting to see if this works for you.

Mr. Kalman, I've been working with this thing for two days and I'm tired now. The site didn't work well, it downloaded a toolkit to update other drivers. My plan is to find an old working computer, install windows 2000, download the driver, and hope that I can get an image on the page when it shows ready. I'm glad I got the ready signal and believe that it is not the main board, but may be the printhead if I get no image.

You chose the large, red button at the top of the webpage. That is what they want you to do. YOu need to choose the less prominent Download links for the driver installer and the printer driver. Please do not quit now. We are one step away from a breakthrough!

I can see that you are frustrated now. I apologize for the delay in the above reply, especially when you are impatient to get results. I was working on another problem, and I did not notice the signal that you had responded.

I chose the less prominent link and stull got the toolkit not the driver.
Going to bed. Goodnight. Thank you.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly why I do not use or recommend those unofficial websites.

I think your plan is a good one. Get another computer and install a Windows 2000 native operating system. It has been a realn pleasure working with you. Good Luck!

Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer