Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an MP495 and it's showing code E08 and won't advance…

I have an MP495...

I have an MP495 and it's showing code E08 and won't advance there.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?

MP495 Code E08

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC & Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I got a message about a week ago about the over fill tank. I started to print about 2 hrs ago and the printer was off, it gave the code, but I had to leave. I just got back, turned it off and back on, still had the code.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?

That's all I know.

8/19/2017
Sudipto, Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP

Sudipto, Engineer

The Canon E08 error message indicates that the “Ink absorber is almost full” on the bottom of your printer. To bypass this message you can simply press the black or colour button of your printer which will allow you to continue printing. However, this message will continue to appear until the ink absorber in completely full, at which point it will stop you printing altogether.

What is the Ink Absorber?

An ink absorber is a common component that is present in all modern inkjet printers. It is a simple sponge or plastic container that collects excess ink and stores it in the bottom of your Canon printer. There is no outlet for the ink so the foam will continue to fill with ink until it is fully saturated.

Why does my printer do this?

Whenever your Canon printer prints or turned on it will use a small amount or ink to keep the printhead fresh. Your printer uses substantially more ink when you perform cleaning or deep cleaning cycles from your printer, as the printer actively flushes ink through the printhead in an attempt to dislodge dried/congealed ink. As you can imagine all of the ink used in these procedures needs somewhere to go, so your Canon inkjet printer funnels it towards the ink absorber.

Your printer estimates how full the absorber is by keeping the record of how many pages have been printed, how many cleans have been performed and anything else that produces waste ink. Once it believes the ink absorber is getting full you will receive the Canon E08 message as we have already discussed.

The only solution for this problem is replacing the ink absorber, and reseting the ink absorber counter. Pressing the Stop/Reset button will exit the error, and enable printing without replacing the ink absorber. However, when the ink absorber becomes full, no further printing can be performed unless the applicable ink absorber is replaced.

I talked to three people there and it ended up costing me $72.00, with the end advise to take it to a shop and have it repaired. I thought it was going to cost me $39.00. I really didn't receive any value for my money and should have just thrown the printer in the trash and bought another one, for $44.00. No I'm not happy with this service.

Sorry, I can only see this question.