Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Changed the drum to my Brother MFC-7840W printer and still…

Changed the drum to...

Changed the drum to my Brother MFC-7840W printer and still says drum life end error

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model is MFC-7840W

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?

Tried resetting the drum count and error still occurs.

8/19/2017
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Remove the drum unit and toner cartridge then insert them back in then keep the lid open

Make sure that the machine is turned on.
Press Options or Press Clear or Clear/Back on the control panel.

If your Brother machine has a numeric keypad: Press 1 to reset the drum counter. If your Brother machine doesn't have a numeric keypad: Press the Up Arrow Key to reset the drum counter.

When the LCD shows Accepted, close the front cover.
Your drum is now reset.

Did that 6 times before. Still shows error

Did you make sure the lid was still open when you pressed 1 or used the arrow?

i already went to the Brother website and got that procedure. Last time this happened brother walked me through a reset of the machine. Since they have no other numbers listed, I was hoping you guys have the procedure.

Press Menu, 4, 3.

To restore the default settings, press 1.

Press Stop/Exit.

Still error

Were you able to perform the factory reset?

Still errors out
Do you have any other solutions to this than the trouble shooting guide from the manufacturer. I need the next level technician or else we are wasting each others time. If not I would be satisfied with a phone number to Brother Printer company. Thanks.

Sure!

Their phone number is *****

Thank you.

You're welcome, James!

Of course they are closed. So above the troubleshooting guide you aren't able to help?

Yes, they close at 9pm EST.

I have provided you with the reset option for the drum counter and the steps for a factory reset. If those steps did not fix the issue then it could be an internal issue. The last thing that you can try before waiting to call Brother is this...

With the printer powered on, remove the power cord from the back.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug back in the power cord and power it on

Do you still have the error?

Still errors out. I will give brother a try in the am. Thank you.

You're very welcome! Thank you for being patient.

Its not letting me rate the conversation.

I apologize -- I did not want to activate the rating until we were finished so that you did not feel like I was trying to pressure you into a rating and getting rid of you.

It is activated now. Thank you!

Josh, Technician