Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

My Epson WF-3640 will print wirelessly but when I try to

My Epson WF-3640 will print wirelessly but when I try to scan wirelessly I get error code -9923 "communication error"
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 4 months old WF-3640
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Everything worked fine up until about 2 months ago. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, the wireless scan function just stopped working.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thank you

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

It is a common problem for all-in-one printers to lose their scanner connection while retaining their printer connection. There is no separate scanner software; the multi-function printer drivers control both the printer and scanner functions. The solution to your problem is to reinstall the drivers. I can show you how to do this. Please let me know when you are ready to continue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have reinstalled the drivers twice today with no beneficial effect.

If it has not worked, it is because you are not doing it right. I can give you detailed instructions for you to follow, step-by-step,interactively. I can alos offer you, as a Premium Service, a Secure Remote Connection, at an extra charge.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It sure seemed like I did it right, but go ahead and give me the detailed instructions.

Okay. Good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
standing by

It is important to remove the printer software from the operating system completely before downloading and installing new software, because if the computer finds any of the old drivers on the hard drive it will reinstall them with their flaws instead of installing the new drivers.

This is the installation procedure. Each step must be done in the order given in order for the process to work. This thorough method that I have developed always works. First, please do the following:

Do you have other working printers installed on your computer? [If so, you may skip the first step.]

Reset Printing System - If there are no other printers installed on the mac, the printing system should be reset, in order to guaranty a clean installation. Use Apple icon in the top-left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Hold the CTRL key down and use the select button on your mouse to click anywhere in the space on the left side of the printer window. Then select Reset Printing System on the menu. [If that does not work, hold the CTRL key down and click on any printer listed there. [Skip the next step.]

Remove Print Server Icons

Remove only the print server icons for the printer that is not working, and skip resetting the printing system. [If it becomes necessary, It may have to be done later, followed by a re-installation of the other printers to restore them.]

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Done

Uninstall Printer Software - Use Finder to open the System Applications folder and locate the subfolder for your printer. Drag the entire folder into the Trash folder. [If you do not uninstall the software, your computer will just reinstall the drivers from the hard drive instead of from the external source.]

Restart Computer System - Use the Apple icon to restart your computer operating system. You can rejoin this conversation by selecting the link in your notification email.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
done

Download Printer Firmware Update - Select the following link to download the Full Feature Printer Software and Driver package for your printer and operating system:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3640/s/SPT_C11CD16201?review-filter=macOS+10.12.x

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there are 2 downloads, firmware update and drivers and utilities combo , do i download them both?

Yes>

Download Printer Drivers & Utilities Combo Package - Select the following link (samewebpage) to download the Full Feature Printer Software and Driver package for your printer and operating system:

Install Printer Software - If you do not see a Run button, use your Finder to locate the downloaded printer file in the Downloads or Devices folder. Use the select button on the mouse to select the heading on the Date column and sort the download files by date, so that the required file is at the top of the list. Select the file to open it, and follow the prompts to install the software.

If the download is not there, it may be in the Active Objects folder, or look for a block representation of it at the bottom of your screen, right above the Dock.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got the combo package but cannot find the Full Feature Printer Software and Driver package

Sorry. I modified a general procedure. You got the Drivers & Utilities Combo Package. That is what you need.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
done with the install

Print Test Page - Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Highlight the print server icon for your printer and use the menu button on your mouse to open the Print Properties menu. Select the Print Test Page button in the Printer Properties dialog box.

If the printer icon is not there, use the +Add Printer link and follow the prompts to install the printer driver.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
test page prints perfectly over wireless

GREAT. NOW YOU CAN TRY TO SCAN SOMETHING TO YOUR COMPUTER.

Did you have to Add Printer or wasthe icon already there?

Did you have to Add Printer or was the icon already there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the icon was already there but when I open the scanner i still get the error message "cannot communicate with the printer error -9923"

REALLY? Did you have any other printers installed on your computer, which would have caused you to skip the first steep, Reset Printing System?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no

So you did reset the printing system, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I reset it

Okay. I am pretty confident that we have followed the correct procedure and have a good installation. Did your installation program find the printer automatically during the installation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it found it in less than 5 seconds

Okay. So the error is being caused by something other than the installation. I am researching this right now. Please standby.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm standing by

Okay. We need to do the following:

(1) Use the printer menus to find the Printer/Scanner IP Address

(2) Use the Finder on your computer to find the System Applications > Epson folder containing an Epson Scanner Settings program.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got it

What is your status?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I still get the communication error message (-9923) when trying to open the scanner.

Do you have an Epson Scanner program icon on your desktop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i do not

Do you initiate the scan from your mac or from your printer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im trying to initiate it from my mac and it doesnt work. I can scan directly from the scanner but I have to scan to a thumb drive.

How do you initiate the scan from your computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
system preferences, printers and scanners, scan, open scanner

Just so you know, we have been answering each other within one minute. But it takes your message three minutes to get delivered to me online.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10-4

When you get tot he Printer & Scanners window are there separate icons for Print and for Scan?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, just one icon and a button for print and a button for scan

Do you have a two-button mouse?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im on a Mac Book Air laptop, no mouse

Do you have a touchpad that selects if you tap it on the left and opens a menu if you tap it on the right?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, my touch pad does not do that.

Can you highlight the Scanner icon without selecting it and select a Properties link in the Printer & Scanners window?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can get to a settings menu with name and location

Are we talking about Print & Scan buttons in addition to the Print Server icon and the Scanner icon?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is only one icon for the wf-3640, then there is a print and scan button

So when you select the can button, what happens? Do you immediately get the error screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When i select the scan button I get an Open Scanner button, when I select Open Scanner I get a new window that says waiting for scanner and then 20 -25 seconds later I get the communication error message (-9923).

Let's try to look for the Scanner Settings executable file. Please use you Finder to go to System Applications and search for the Epson folder. Open that folder and search for a file called Epson Scanner Settings.

Have you located the Epson folder?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but i do not have an epson scanner settings in the epson software folder.

Look in your Launcher window for an Epson software package.

Have you found your Launcher on the left side of your Dock?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found an epson net config

Can you open it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Is there a dialog box with various tabs for different setings?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
configuration, refresh, and launch browser

Select the configuration tab. Can you send me a screen shot?

Are there a Scanner Settings on that tab?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the help but I'm done for the night.

I understand. We have been at this for a long time. Thank you for the Good rating. I will be available to continue to assist you until we get this resolved. I will keep the question open and look for you this weekend.