Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a HP Officejet Pro 6830 and use a Microsoft Surface 3

I have a HP Officejet Pro 6830 and use a Microsoft Surface 3 with Windows 10. When I try to print something, a it says my printer is offline, even though I check and it's online.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Where do I look for the model number. It's a Microsoft Surface and I'm using Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes. Says I don't have any updates for laptop.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, other than I've always had a difficult time scanning and now printing. :(

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

You are at www.justanswer.com services.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Do you know the router password?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this for our WiFi?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this for our WiFi?

yes your wifi

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
j38700c85812a
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really can't afford the $39 for the remote assistance. Should I try to uninstall my printer and reinstall it?

you may ignore teh premium service offers as they are optional..i will continue to assist you on chat

1. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon , and then touch the Wireless Menu icon .

2. Touch Wireless Settings, then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

3. let me know if your router name shows up in the list of routers

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the wireless setup wizard, it says the wireless connection has already been set up. "Are you sure you want to set it up again?"
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm searching for wireless routers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have two names: Jaross5g and Jaross2.4 It only shows the 2.4 one. When I saw this, I changed my laptop to 2.4 when it originally was the Jaross5g. The cable company changed out our router last week and gave us new passwords for Jaross5g and Jaross2.4

ok..so your surface3 is currently connected to which one of the 2 routers

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I made an error. The cable technic***** *****ged the name to Chris-5g and Chris-2.4. Surface is connected to the 2.4.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They both say Chris-2.4. Surface has the option of Chris-5g, but the printer only shows the 2.4 option.

ok on the printer select 2.4 and let em know if it shows as connected

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I look the internet/WiFi settings on the Surface, it shows that the printer is also secure. Says, HP-Print-F2-Officejet Pro 6830

did you select the 2.4 router on printer and does it show as connected

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's starting to print! It's printing all my old stuff. Now it's in printer preparation!
Does this also affect scanning. Many times it won't scan.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just tried printing something and it worked!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Music to my ears!!

yes if wifi connection is lost, it will not print or scan to surface device

from now on in future if you face this issue of device showing offline, it would be a clear case of wifi connection lost

this is common for all wifi devices

to fix it, on printer go to wireless setup wizard and select the 2.4 router again and it should be good to go

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. Feel free to ask if you have any question. Please provide a rating for the service, effort and the time by clicking on the stars located on the upper right corner of this page. In case the problem still persist or you have more question then simply use the Reply to expert or click on the “Continue Conversation” button on justanswer email and I will be happy to answer your question. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I'm so relieved. I didn't want to have to go another printer. You were so helpful and I really appreciate it!
Take care and thank you, again! I will give you the best rating! :)
Sharron Whitesel

You are welcome

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Michelle!You helped me last week and my printer and scan are back to not working. Says offline for both. Thanks. Sharron

Go through the chat session and follow the same steps you did last week.

Let me know if the problem persists.